Listen to the Podcast:
Watch the Video:
Thyroid Health: A Second Opinion
Standard of Care:
The standard of care for Thyroid issues in America is abysmal. Here’s what the Docs will do…
- Test TSH only
- If you’re lucky, they will also test T4
- These numbers don’t tell you much.
- It is entirely possible to show normal TSH and T4 and still have thyroid issues.
- If the Doc suspects thyroid problems but they are not severe enough yet… They will wait until so much healthy thyroid tissue has been destroyed that they can put you on a medication… for the rest of your life.
- You read that correctly… They will allow a small problem to get worse so they can give you medication.
The Tests You Need:
- Free T4
- Free T3
- Reverse T3
- Thyroid Antibodies
Note – I HIGHLY recommend you get a qualified Functional Medicine Doctor to help you interpret these results!
- 90% of people with hypothyroidism also have Hashimoto’s
- Hashimoto’s and thus hypothyroidism is an autoimmune issue!
- Inflammation suppresses HPT Axis
- Inflammation decreases the number of thyroid hormone receptors in the body and decreases their sensitivity.
- Inflammation decreases the conversion of T4 to T3 (the active thyroid hormone)
- No amount of medication will fix the problem until you address the underlying issue of leaky gut and inflammation!
- Medication without Lifestyle Interventions is like putting a band-aid on a splinter without removing the splinter first.
What You Can Do – Lifestyle Interventions:
- Remove Autoimmune Triggers: Gluten, Grains, Refined Sugars, Soy, Dairy (Gluten is #1 Offender!!)
- Remove Toxic Chemicals from the home! (Get my Approved Products E-book!)
- Focus on Gut Health: Probiotics, Prebiotics, Fermented Foods, try Paleo Low FODMAP Diet if you already have gut issues.
- Reduce Inflammation – Vitamin D, Omega 3 and Turmeric Supplements (The Perfect Paleo Powder contains Turmeric!)