05 Feb In Case You Missed It #17 – Oil: The Hidden Assassin
Listen to the Podcast:
Watch the Video:
Oil: The Hidden Assassin:
Why We Need Fat:
- Cholesterol is required for every single function in every single cell in the human body
- The brain is mostly fat.
- 90% of the brain is made up of the essential Omega 3 Fatty Acid DHA
- 50% of the membrane of every neuron in your brain is made up of DHA
- The only “harmful” fats in the human diet are man-man fats. Also known as Trans-fats.
- I call them Franked-Fats.
- All fat that exists in nature is good for you and serves a biological purpose.
- Sugar and refined carbs—not fat—are responsible for the epidemic of obesity and poor health in America.
- Refined carbs play a role in Everything from Type 2 Diabetes to Cancer and Heart disease.
Your Cells Are Made of Fat!:
“The quality of your cells are directly correlated with the quality of the fats you ingest.”
For decades, we’ve been sold a false idea that vegetable oil is healthier than natural saturated fats.
Nothing could be further from the truth…
“Good” vegetable oils (such as soybean oil, corn oil, sunflower oil, safflower oil,) are harmful; they create inflammation and oxidize or make your cholesterol rancid, making it more likely to cause heart disease.
These oils are processed at high heats and are literally rancid, oxidized, and toxic to the human body.
These artificial fats, which don’t exist in nature, can look just like healthy saturated fats to the body…
So, what does the body do?
It creates cell membranes using these artificial fats!
In layman terms… It creates your cells out of something that doesn’t exist in nature and has never been a part of the human diet.
What could possibly go wrong?!
How Bad Are They… Really?!:
A study done at Harvard in 1993 demonstrated a strong link between partially hydrogenated oils and heart attack risk.
The conclusion: “replacing just 2% of energy from trans-fats with healthy unsaturated fat would decrease the risk of coronary heart disease by about one-third.”
In layman’s terms – get your monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats from whole foods such as meat, fish, avocados, olives, nuts, and seeds.
A study from Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center found:
“Diets rich in trans-fats cause a redistribution of fat tissue into the abdomen and lead to higher body weight even when the total dietary calories are controlled.”
In layman’s terms – even if your caloric intake is identical, if you’re eating trans-fats, you will gain more body fat!
A strong link also exists between trans-fats and cancer, for women specifically…
A study done on trans-fats and colon cancer showed that post-menopausal women had a “two-fold increase in the risk of developing colon cancer from high levels of trans-fatty acids in the diet.”
Another study in the American Journal of Epidemiology showed “the risk of breast cancer was doubled in women having higher serum levels of trans-fatty acids.”
It simply cannot be overstated how damaging these trans-fats are to human beings!
Where Do They Hide?:
I titled this episode “Oil: The Hidden Assassin” because hydrogenated oils are now hidden in just about every packaged food product in every grocery store in America.
You’ll find them hidden in…
- Baked goods – especially, crackers, cookies, cakes, snack foods like chips, and microwave popcorn
- Frozen Meals – like pizza and TV dinners
- Fake Cooking Butters/ Oils/ Spreads – like Crisco, Pam spray, fake butter spreads, and margarine,
- Fake Dairy Products – such as Coffee Creamer and pre-made frostings
- Fast Food
- Salad Dressings – Be particularly careful when buying dressings advertised as “Avocado Oil” or “Olive Oil.” Always check the ingredients! More often than not, the #1 ingredient will still be a hydrogenated oil, even though the marketing says otherwise!!
How To Avoid Hydrogenated Oils:
CLOVIS!! Simple sign up for your Free 7-Day Trial and get your hands on the Clovis Approved Foods List!
All you have to do is adhere to the list and you will never ingest a single molecule of hydrogenated oils ever again!